The Canadian International School System (CISS- VN) operates four programs in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The Canadian International School System – Vietnam (CISS-VN) consists of :
- The Canadian International School (CIS) delivers the Ontario Curriculum Kindergarten to Grade 12 entirely inEnglish. After Grade 10, students are eligible to apply to the IBDP Programme Years 1 and 2, Grades 11 and 12.
- The Bilingual Canadian International School (BCIS) delivers the Vietnamese National Curriculum, Grades 1 – 12and instruction in English language oral and written fluency according to Ontario Ministry of Education documentsfor Language Arts and English Language Learners.
- The Canada-Vietnam Kindergarten (CVK) delivers programs for children ages 18 months to 5 years old.
- The Albert Einstein School (AES) delivers the Vietnamese National Curriculum, Grades 1 – 12 and the Ed Excel English Program.
The Toronto District School Board (TDSB) provides staffing and recruitment consulting services to CISS-VN for CIS, BCIS and CVK. As a part of the consultancy agreement, the TDSB provides CISS with up to date Ontario curricula and offers guidance and support to ensure that CISS staff and students are meeting Ontario expectations. All CIS teachers are either members in good standing, or are eligible to be members in good standing, with the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT). All applications are provided to CISS. Applicants are hired by CISS, and if successful, will be an employee of the CISS—VN, reporting to the CISS-VN Principal.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
The position(s) listed in this posting is/are for the duration of 2-years. The contract period may be extended upon mutual agreement.
Current TDSB staff, who would like to apply, will be considered for a leave of absence from Toronto DSB to CIS- Vietnam when successful in his/her application.
This position is a teaching position with a 50% (1/2) time release for the job of IB Coordination and a 50% (1/2) teaching load. Our current staffing model includes:
- designated CAS and EE co-ordinators, and
- a designated Guidance Counselor
The ideal candidate has experience as a TDSB or Ontario-based or International Diploma Programme Coordinator, fulfilling at least some of the responsibilities listed below. Ideally, the candidate has IB Diploma Programme experience working in an international context and some leadership experience.
CIS Vietnam has been an authorized IB World School offering the Diploma Programme since March 2015. As a relatively new IB Diploma School, CIS is growing slowly to become a leading competitor in the local market of IB World Schools. It is highly recommended that the candidate will have already attended at least a Category 1 Coordination workshop, but if not, attendance at an IB workshop in Coordination will be afforded to the successful candidate. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a group of very committed teachers and students.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the management and execution of the CIS IB Diploma Programme
- Oversee the implementation of the IB Programme Standards and Practises
- Handle all communication with the IBAP Office in Singapore and the IBO Global Office in The Hague
- Assists in developing promotional material and ideas for the IB Diploma Programme at CIS
- Act as a pedagogical leader for IB teachers, especially regarding Teaching and Learning and Assessment and Evaluation
Relationships work closely with
- The Leadership Team
- All IB teaching staff, and also the teacher-librarian and guidance counselor
- Admissions Office, and Academic Services Office (ASO) to connect with families
- PR Marketing to promote the IB Programme
- All IB Diploma Programme students and parents
- IBAP Regional Head Office in Singapore
- IBO Global Office in The Hague and IBO Assessment Centre in the UK
- IB VLMC Region DP Network and other Regional Networks
- Other IB Schools around the world through My IB Programme Communities
- Local and international universities for IB applicants
- Teacher certification and experience in secondary schools
- A valid Ontario Certificate of Qualification
- A member in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers
- A signed Annual Offence Declaration. As an international school system, CISS schools are held to high levels of scrutiny to ensure that our recruiting processes pay careful attention to the principles of child protection (https://www.icmec.org/education-portal/awareness/)
- Additional Qualification in Teaching English Language Learning Part 1 or willing to complete prior to or during the 2020 – 2021 school year
- IB Diploma Coordinator qualifications are an asset but the employer is willing to fund the successful applicant foron-line IB subject training
- Contribute effectively to the ongoing success of the school in providing high-quality education for all students,with particular attention to developing students as global learners and citizens
- Support all students in developing a love of learning and in achieving their full potential
- Implement the grade and subjects taught based on the Ontario Curriculum and by using research-informed and student-centered pedagogy
- Ensure that all students develop competencies in literacy and numeracy, creativity, communication, collaboration,thinking skills
- Develop caring and positive relationships with students and staff
- Model the attributes celebrated in the Ontario Character Education Program
- Participate fully in the development of short and long-range teaching/department plans and implements
- effective teaching and learning strategies that include the use of technology
- Work with the School Leadership Team in the implementation of school improvement work and
- inspire public confidence by developing positive relationships with parents and the school community
- Lead, coordinate and/or support co-curricular activities, sports, and school events such as arts and culture
- Establish and contribute to an inclusive, caring and safe learning environment
- Work as a professional learning community to share effective practices provide rich learning experiences for students and uses meaningful and authentic print and digital learning resources
- Ensure that the assessment, evaluation, and reporting strategies and practices are informed and meet the Standards and Practises of the IB Diploma Programme
- Follow the various lines of communication from IB, including IBIS, My IB, IB Coordinators’ Notes, Email Bulletins from IB, and guide teachers through the use of such resources
- Understand the curriculum for each IB subject, including the IB Core, working with each teacher to guide them in teaching their courses
- Understand critical documents such as the IB Assessment Procedures, Programme Standards, and Practises,General Regulations, IB Learner Profile, Rules for IB World Schools, and communicate information to relevant parties
- Facilitate the review of all IB Policies: Academic Honesty, Assessment, Language, Inclusive Assessment Arrangements, Admissions
- Conduct the IB Self-Study every 5 years in accordance with IB rules, in a collaborative manner, beginning no less than 12 months prior to the Evaluation visit.
- Actively manage and work towards the IB Action Plan, which is a 5-year ongoing plan coming out of the SelfStudy Process in Feb 2020.
- Register and manage students on the IBIS system, and guide students around the IB Candidates’ Portal
- Promote IB to the whole school community, including leading the process for students applying to enter the IB Programme.
- Oversee the receipt and conduct of the IB Examinations each May, and manage their delivery to assigned locations around the world, including electronically through the eCoursework site
- Collect all Internal Assessments from teachers, and facilitate their delivery to various locations around the world
- Process and distribute IB results around early July each year
- Create a budget for the IB Diploma Programme and provide resources for students and teachers
- Guide students through the IB Diploma Programme by explaining the nature, benefits, and requirements of the Programme, helping them understand priorities, Assessment and Evaluation, University Recognition, etc.
- Proven ability to work in teams
- works effectively with teachers, parents, administrators, and students
- Commitment to creating a school culture that is caring, collaborative, safe, and responsive to the needs of all students
- Demonstrated commitment to student success
- Experience in implementing and a deep understanding of the IB curriculum
- Experience coordinating a program of education, including admission and promotion, curriculum development,policy creation, assessment and evaluation, and adherence to regulations
- Experience in the international environment and teaching English Language Learners is an asset
Remuneration is based on experience and qualifications. It also includes housing allowance, costs of flight to and from Canada (Toronto or Vancouver) to Ho Chi Minh City once per year, a one-time settling-in allowance, free tuition for the first child and a 50% reduction in tuition fees for the second child. Basic medical and health insurance is provided.
Start Date: July 27, 2020
Submit the following:
- Signed Offence Declaration
- Cover letter
- Resume including your current OCT
- The names and contact information (telephone number(s). + email addresses) of three (3) professional references
Your references are, preferably, those who have been in a supervisory role to you and who can be readily contacted to provide a reference by phone or email
Submit your application online to: email@example.com
If you have questions, please contact Kenneth W. Trotman, GLOBAL School Consulting Group Recruitment Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.